Limitations of clopidogrel
Important limitations of clopidogrel, a commonly used antiplatelet agent:
- Slow onset of antiplatelet effect
- Unpredictable maximal level of platelet inhibition
- Wide variability of pharmacodynamic response due to:
- Genotype polymorphisms of enzymes needed for its intestinal absorption and conversion to active metabolite
- Interactions by drugs that activate or inhibit cytochrome P450
It is because of these limitations , drugs like ticagrelor a newer and potent antiplatelet agent has been developed and gained wide acceptance.
- Guan W, Lu H, Yang K. Choosing between ticagrelor and clopidogrel following percutaneous coronary intervention: A systematic review and Meta-Analysis (2007-2017). Medicine (Baltimore). 2018 Oct;97(43):e12978.